315-321 Illawarra Rd Development Application
We wanted to let the community know that an amended DA has been submitted to Inner West Council for 315-321 Illawarra Rd (DA201900421). Unfortunately many of the items of concern in our original objection to this DA in May 2020 have not been addressed. A summary of our objections to the amended DA lodged with Council in September 2020 are that in the proposal:
- The proposed building design and form including the street-front façade facing Illawarra Road is not sympathetic with other federation/ Edwardian buildings and shopfronts on this section of Illawarra Road, and should be redesigned to be sympathetic with the character of Marrickville Town Centre including Marrickville Road. The built form in the amended DA is even more unsympathetic to adjacent heritage buildings than in the original DA.
- The 6 storey building height in the amended DA is too high and should be limited to 5 storeys, which is the allowed height under the current LEP. Excessive height will unreasonably increase the building’s dominance over neighbouring commercial buildings and residences, negatively impact on the area’s character, and negatively impact shadowing and privacy.
- The building height where the façade/building front connects with Illawarra Road is too high at three storeys and should be two storeys to be sympathetic with the surrounding streetscape’s scale and character. This issue in our original proposal has not been addressed.
- The set-back from Illawarra Road for the storeys between 3 and 5 is not adequate and should be 12 metres, again to be sympathetic with the existing streetscape. This issue in our original proposal has not been addressed.
- Car parking spaces in the proposal are not adequate and should be increased from 12 to 28 car spaces for the proposed 30 odd studio apartments. This issue in our original proposal has not been addressed.
- The vehicular access in the proposal would create a risk and impede access for pedestrians, and should be redesigned to protect and preserve pedestrian access along Illawarra Road. This issue in our original proposal has not been addressed.
- Land use as Serviced Apartments is not consistent with existing land uses in the surrounding area, will provide no permanent accommodation for residents, and should not be viewed as a rationale for increasing building height and density, or reducing parking spaces.
- Is against the current Local Environment Plan regarding height and character, and sets a poor precedent as Council works with residents to frame the new LEP.
There isn't much time to object to this DA - submission close on Tuesday 29th September. You can view the documentation (including an image of the proposed building) and make a submission via the application tracking portal on the Inner West Council website.