Actions to take to object to a DA

Look up the documents on Council’s DA tracker. You can enter as a guest, click on ‘application tracking’ and type in the DA number to see the documentation. This is also where you can also lodge a submission to object to the DA. Information about lodging a submission can be found here and includes tips for writing a submission:

Email or call the planner responsible for the DA and have a conversation to respectfully express your concerns and hear their views. The planner to contact will be listed on the notification letter you may have received from council or on the notification sign that should be posted on the property. If you are unsure of who to contact, call the Council and quote the DA number to be connected to the council officer responsible.

IMPORTANT: If you object to the DA write your own submission and submit via Council's submission process. If you don't want to submit via the Council's online platform, call Council and ask if there is another way to submit an objection. Don’t be overwhelmed by this, being succinct and using dot points is encouraged. State your concerns and describe how the development will impact you. Stick to the facts and avoid ranting. If you have more than one concern consider using headings. You can also include photos if they help you make your case. Don’t forget to include your address, the DA number and your contact details.

Talk to your neighbours, share your concerns with them and encourage them to also submit an objection. Objections from neighbours and people along the street are held in high regard. You could place a flyer in people’s letterbox alerting them to the DA and stating why you object or you could do a door-knock (with another person) if you are able.

Create a petition. You can create a paper based petition or you can use for a digital version. Ask friends and groups to share your petition on their social media platforms. Every petition, whether paper or online, needs to include: a short headline title to say what the petition is about, a clear and concise statement about the subject of the petition – this should describe what action the petitioner wishes the Council to take and your own name and address. People who sign your petition need to provide their name, suburb and preferably their email address.

Email Councillors about your concerns ensuring that you let them know that you have also formally written an objection to the DA and quote the DA number.

If the DA is going to be presented to Council attend the Council meeting and arrange to speak at the meeting to voice your concerns directly to Council. Please note: only those who have made formal written submissions will be able to speak at a Council meeting about the DA. You will have to register to speak at the meeting before 2pm on the day of the meeting so keep an eye out for email notifications and check the Inner West Council website.

Note: Ever been surprised by a building being demolished all of a sudden? Getting on the front foot with a development is key to being able to have a say on the developments in your local neighbourhood. Keep an eye out for DA notices stuck to fences and doors and sign up to Planning Alerts. There will only be a certain amount of time you have to submit an objection so keep an eye out for those deadlines.

Contact your politicians

Dear Save Marrickville/ Marrickville residents

As part of a campaign to stop the overdevelopment of Marrickville and other parts of Sydney, please send the following message by email, mail or phone one or more of key people we have identified. They are three key Liberal MPs, the Planning Minister and Premier, see their contact details after the drafted message. 
Thanks very much for doing your bit.

Save Marrickville Working Group  



I ask the NSW government to return control of local planning decisions to our local governments, which have greater understanding of local communities and their needs than the NSW Department of Planning.

The residents of Sydney want good planning for our city’s future, and to develop the best possible city and neighbourhoods for ourselves and future generations. This will not happen while the Berejiklian government pushes overdevelopment and high rise, where it dramatically changes whole suburbs and does not plan for schools, parks, traffic or parking. We are specifically concerned about the NSW Priority Precincts and Growth Areas strategy that is being rammed though by the NSW government.

We are hoping that our Minister for Planning and Premier will change the way that planning is done in Sydney, which at the moment helps developers but not the people who live here.

Can you please talk to your state government colleagues about this. Thank you.



Please send to, or phone one or more of:

The Hon. Robert Stokes, MP

Member for Pittwater, Minister for Education

[email protected]

1725 Pittwater Rd Mona vale 2103

Ph 9999 3599


The Hon. Victor Dominello, MP

Member for Ryde, Minister for Finance

[email protected]

Suite 202, Gr Flr, 5-9 Devlin St Ryde 2112

Ph 9808 3288


Mr John Sidoti, MP

Member for Drummoyne, Parliamentary Secretary to Cabinet

[email protected]

128 Great North Rd, Five Dock 2046

Ph 9713 2999


The Hon. Anthony Roberts, MP

Minister for Planning

GPO Box 5341 Sydney 2001

Ph 8574 5600


The Hon. Gladys Berejiklian


GPO Box 5341 Sydney 2001

Ph 8574 5000

Get active! Let your voice be heard.

  • Become informed by talking to us, reading this website and joining our Facebook group
  • Email us if you are interested in finding out more about joining our working group
  • Sign up for our emails to stay on top of critical emails (we only send emails when we feel strongly about informing the community of developments)
  • Send emails to, or phone local Councillors
  • If there is a DA in your local neighbourhood that you are concerned about, refer to this page for tips on objecting to a DA